Editing by Nathaniel Cajuday
Jeffrey Zirlin, widely known as Jihoz, the co-founder of the popular game Axie Infinity, announced during the AxieCon in Barcelona that he will headline the speakers for the upcoming Philippine Web3 Festival, a week-long premier event happening on November 14–18, 2022, organized by BlockchainSpace and Yield Guild Games.
The popularity of Jihoz and the play-to-earn blockchain game Axie Infinity in the country surged in 2021 when it became the saving grace of numerous Filipinos that were left jobless by the pandemic. (Read more: This Documentary Perfectly Captures the Play-to-Earn Phenomenon in the Philippines)
Aside from Jihoz, the event will also be graced by other well-known names in the web3 space such as they appear on the event website:
- Peter Ing, BlockchainSpace (CEO)
- Sebastian Borget, SandBox (CEO)
- Gabby Dizon, Yield Guild Games (Co-Founder and CEO)
- Beryl Li, Yield Guild Games (Co-founder)
- Colin Goltra, Yield Guild Games (Chief Operating Officer)
- Brian Lu, Infinity Ventures (Founding Partner)
- Mia Deng, Dragonfly Capital (Partner)
- Kenneth Stern, Binance Philippines (Country Director)
- Wei Zhou, Coins.ph (CEO)
- Nichel Gaba, PDAX (Founder and CEO)
- Ben Wee, Crypto.com (Vice President)
- Siddhartha Jain, Polygon (Vice President)
- Ron Hose, UnionBank (Board Member) Coins.ph (Founder)
- Leah Callon-Butler, Emfarsis (Director)
- Sheila Marcelo, Proof of Learn (Founder and CEO)
- Brian Akaka, Crypto Unicorns
- Luis Sia, PayMongo (Co-founder)
- Ciara Sun, C² Ventures (Founder)
- Renz Chong, BreederDAO (CEO)
- Jon Weisblatt, Liquid Meta (Co-Founder and CEO)
- Carlos Ortemin, Unlockd Finance (Co-Founder and COO)
- Ian Estrada, XLD Finance (CEO)
- Joey Gurango, Xurpas (CEO)
- Shreyansh Singh, Polygon Technology (Head of Investments)
- Dan Laboradam, Playdex (Co-Founder and CEO)
- Carolina Casas, Forga, Sangha Capital (Co-founder)
- Ash Mandhyan, MetaverseGo (CEO)
- Varun Panjwani, Metacare (CEO)
- Christy Choi, SKYGG (Co-founder)
- Chase Freo, OP Games (Co-Founder and CEO)
- Corey Wilton, Mirai Labs (CEO)
Though the web3 community is still considered young, some of these names and entities have already kicked off initiatives to further improve the awareness of cryptocurrency, blockchain, metaverse, and web3 in the country.
For instance, Peter Ing’s guild hub BlockchainSpace recently started offering tools that may help play-to-earn guilds grow after they launched their Guild Partner Program last April which aims to empower and connect gaming guilds and gamers. (Read more: BlockchainSpace Raises Additional $2.4M In Strategic Funding)
While Sandbox also recently had a partnership with BlockchainSpace to offer SandKwela, a free online course that aims to provide users the ability to become a Web3 creator.
Moreover, Play-to-earn gaming guild YGG, on the other hand, recently joined forces with the online community Nas Academy to launch the online learning platform Web3 Metaversity which aims to educate anyone who wants to learn about web3, blockchain, cryptocurrency, and the metaverse as a whole. (Read more: NAS Academy, YGG Team Up for Web3 Education)
Last month, Kenneth Stern participated on behalf of Binance in the session of the Senate’s Committee on Banks, Financial Institutions and Currencies and promised to aid the country’s universities to offer courses and professional certificates in blockchain, crypto, and web3. (Read more: Binance Participates in Senate Hearing)
In July, Coins.ph CEO Wei Zhou revealed that the firm is set to launch a Game Center for the availability of play-to-earn (P2E) games on its app as it plans to onboard more artists and collectors into the non-fungible token (NFT) space. (Read more: Conquest Event Recap: Coins.ph CEO Reveals NFT, P2E Game Center Plans)
Further, to help students learn while earning cryptocurrency, Sheila Lirio Marcelo, the founder and the CEO of the education company Proof of Learn, Inc. (POL), established Metacrafters, a “part game, part learning platform” where student developers have to learn Web3 or decentralized apps that run on the blockchain. For its pilot program, it allowed close to a thousand YGG scholars access to the platform.
MetaverseGo, a decentralized blockchain platform, is a new startup that aims to provide easy access to play-and-earn games, guild participation, non-fungible tokens (NFT) collection, and access to other web3 applications through only the user’s mobile number. (Read more: MetaverseGo Plans Give Non-Crypto Gamers Access To NFT Games)
What is the PH Web3 Fest?
The Philippine Web3 Festival is a week-long premier event in the country that will showcase the Philippine metaverse community, covering GameFi, NFTs, DeFi, content creation, and more. It is powered by two Filipino-led web3 companies, BlockchainSpace and YGG.
“The festival will bring the brightest minds and most renowned thought leaders in the industry to Manila and will feature a flagship conference, break-out sessions, tournaments, hackathons, and community-led side events all week long,” their website states.
This article is published on BitPinas: Axie Infinity’s Jihoz, YGG’s Gabby Dizon, and more to Star PH WEB3 Festival
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.