Editing by Nathaniel Cajuday
Cryptocurrency exchange giant Binance announced the creation of its Global Advisory Board (GAB), which is composed of renowned experts in public policy, government, finance, economics, and corporate governance.
The purpose of the board is to provide Binance advice on some of the most complex regulatory, political, and social issues the entire crypto industry faces as it rapidly grows and evolves, and coined it as “a major step in the company’s efforts to support the sustainable development of blockchain technology.”
The recent GAB meeting was held in Paris, France, and was chaired by former US Senator and Ambassador to China, Max Baucus.
“For the past five years, Binance has been at the forefront of pioneering the exciting new world of crypto, blockchain, and Web3. In that time, we’ve tackled complex issues no one even knew existed. We’ve maintained our focus throughout on delivering compliance solutions that protect the interests of crypto users, while keeping a brisk pace of socially-beneficial innovation,” said Binance Founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Changpeng Zhao. ” The GAB represents the next big step forward in our journey to share the benefits of modern finance and the blockchain with the entire world.”
Here is the list of the GAB members:
- Max Baucus is a former U.S. Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China; Former U.S. Senator Montana; Former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance
- Ibukun Awosika is the first Female Chairman, First Bank of Nigeria; Founder of The Chair Centre Group; Chairman, Nigerian Advisory Board, for Impact Investing and Convention on Business Integrity; member of the G7 International Task Force for impact investing; Author of several books
- HyungRin Bang is the advisor of the Korea Presidential Committee; PR/Communications Advisor of Yoon Seuk-Yul’s 2022 Presidential Campaign; Former CEO, SoftForum Inc.; Former Executive Director, Hyundai; Former Executive Director, Samsung;
- Bruno Bezard is the managing partner of Cathay Capital; Former Economic Advisor to the French Prime Minister; former head of the French Treasury; and former CEO of the French Government Shareholding Agency.
- Leslie Maasdorp is the Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the New Development Bank; former MD and President for Southern Africa at Bank of America Merrill Lynch. Former Vice Chairman of Barclays Capital; and former International Adviser to Goldman Sachs.
- Henrique de Campos Meirelles is the former Minister of the Economy; former President of the Central Bank of Brazil; Former Chair of J&F’s board of directors; Former Member of the Board of Directors of Azul Brazilian Airlines, Former President, Bank of Boston; Former President of Global Banking, Fleetboston Financial; Former Board member, Raytheon Corporation, Bestfoods, and Champion International. Former Member of the Council of Lloyd’s of London; Former Chairman of Lazard Americas.
- Adalberto Palma is the Honorary Board Member of The Aspen Institute Mexico; Former Senior Advisor at the Chief of Staff Office to the President of Mexico; Director of Business Development at BEworksMX Consulting; Former President of the CNBV; Founding Chairman of The Center for Excellency in Corporate Governance. Independent Director of the Institute for Savings Protection; President of Bankers Trust Mêxico, Colombia, and Venezuela; and Managing Director of Citibank Mexico.
- David Plouffe is a business, non-profit, and political strategist; author; member of various boards of directors; former campaign manager; and senior advisor to President Obama in the White House.
- Christin Schäfer is the Founder and Managing Director of acs plus; former Group Risk Operating Officer, Erste Group Bank; Former Global Head of Quantitative Solutions, Deutsche Bank, and Member of the Data Ethics Commission, German Federal Government
- Lord Vaizey is a member of the House of Lords; Former Minister and Member of Parliament.
- David Wright is Chair, EUROFI; Former Secretary General, IOSCO, Former European Commission; Deputy Director General Financial markets, European Commission
“With the cryptocurrency and blockchain industry entering into new phases globally, it is inspiring to be part of the Binance Global Advisory Board, where esteemed experts from different fields join to discuss the industry’s sustainability. As an advocate of information and technology, Korea has substantially grown its domestic cryptocurrency and blockchain industry,” said HyungRin Bang, emphasizing his goal to contribute to the board with the knowledge he learned throughout his career.
Binance is expected to utilize the GAB’s unrivaled collective experience and expertise to benefit the sustainable development of the industry as a whole by weighing in on the toughest and most delicate regulatory and compliance issues facing crypto, blockchain, and Web3.
This collaboration between Binance and the leading experts of the GAB is a testament to our focus on compliance, transparency and ensuring a collaborative relationship with the world’s regulators as they develop sensible regulations worldwide,” Zhao added.
In terms of the Philippine regulations and compliance, Binance has been working hand-in-hand with the local government on this concern, and recently, Binance has partnered with the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordination Center (CICC) to conduct a cybercrime seminar with the local department and law enforcement. (For more information, read Binance PH to Acquire a Single Firm That Has Both BSP VASP and EMI Licenses and Binance, CICC Conduct Blockchain Forensics Seminar for PH Agencies to Fight Crypto Crime)
“We always put our users first, and that’s served as a very effective North Star for us over the past five years of unprecedented, exciting growth. With the GAB, we’re supercharging our ability to manage regulatory complexity by tapping into the highest level of expertise available anywhere in the world,” the CEO concluded.
This article is published on BitPinas: Binance Announces Global Advisory Board
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.