APAC Community Manager (Remote)
Filecoin Foundation (FF) is an independent organization that facilitates governance of the Filecoin network, funds critical development projects, supports the growth of the Filecoin ecosystem, and advocates for Filecoin and the decentralized web. In 2017, the creators of Filecoin envisioned that an independent Filecoin Foundation would serve as the long-term governance body for the Filecoin Ecosystem. They gave the Foundation the mandate to “grow an open ecosystem for decentralized storage” and to “give developers an open and sustainable platform to build, enhance and monetize those services.” They wanted the Foundation to be modeled on Foundations for other open source projects like the Apache Software Foundation, the Mozilla Foundation and the Linux Foundation. Filecoin Foundation operates independently of Protocol Labs, the organization that designed and built the Filecoin network. As a member of our early-stage team, you will have the opportunity to help define our growth as the organization scales. This is a full-time, remote position.
Filecoin Foundation is looking for a talented Community Program Manager who can engage with the Filecoin community in Asia Pacific (APAC). Working across multiple channels, this position is designed to synthesize information from various sources to surface and to unstick problems, and operate on cross-functional teams to liaise between the APAC community and the Foundation. The ideal candidate has a savvy approach to community engagement and can make members feel welcome. This person will act as a critical bridge between the wider Filecoin community within the APAC region and the Foundation as well as a way-finder for community members to find the resources and support they need.
APAC is our fastest growing region and a typical day in this role doesn’t exist. Working with online communities means being able to constantly reprioritize, identify opportunities for kick-starting conversations, and read between the lines to proactively identify tools, solutions, and other opportunities for improving the experience of community members. One day, you may be hopping around our (many) Slack channels, providing updates and bringing folks together; the next, you’re working with our ecosystem team to redesign the ‘Filecoin Community’ landing page; the next day, you find a complex system problem that the community needs help deliberating. Regardless, you’re proactive, confident and capable, and value your role as a source-of-truth for problem solving. You also have great judgment, knowing when to drop a meme and when to provide clear instructions.
This position is designed to own program execution across Singapore, Japan, China, India, Korea, and other smaller emerging markets within the region. The person who will thrive in this role should be naturally proactive and have the ability to easily transition between strategic thinking and tactical/detailed execution and project management. The kind of person who isn’t afraid to insert themselves and loves chatting, networking, and building connections while also focusing on ways to create repeatable and scalable processes will thrive in this role.
This position requires both a head for technical problems and a heart for people problems. As such, no single academic or professional background is preferred over another. Our team is diverse and interdisciplinary, and we welcome your interesting, non-traditional, and/or early career experiences.
- Proactive engagement with APAC community members to foster a supportive environment across Slack, GitHub, and other channels to set shared objectives, create open dialogue, build partnerships, and balance the interests of the foundation while sharing best practices
- Project and/or Program management responsibilities over strategic initiatives specific to APAC community interaction
- Track issues around GitHub, Slack, and Reddit and act as a liaison between the Filecoin community and the Filecoin Foundation
- Identify hurdles and pain points across the ecosystem, and act as a wayfinder to alleviate these issues
- Drive engagement around ecosystem and/or community releases and updates
- Maintain and connect community members and internal parties to develop a solid network of cross-functional trusted relationships
- Help build strategic capacity for network growth by identifying common issues and barriers, and prioritize related improvements
- Be involved in creating documentation, including writing specs and other documents as needed
- Facilitate community events that align to our OKRs that drive impact across the community
- Experience driving collaboration within the Asian market
- Significant experience in program management, community engagement, and/or technology strategy and execution
- You are detail-oriented and love to see projects from start to finish with an eye towards project management disciplines
- You have a passion for engaging community, can develop a presence across multiple channels, and can find new communities to tap into
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Proactive, enthusiastic, and able to self-motivate; you love to take on new projects, initiatives and programs
- You are able to multi-task and context-switch with ease as you drive community engagement based on agreed upon priorities
- You can pull threads across multiple platforms to identify blockers, then triage to find the solutions
- You are familiar with launching scalable community initiatives and can help track relevant metrics in relation to company OKRs
- You can tap into enthusiasm for new ideas, organizations, and opportunities, and then proactively organize community members around them
- Extremely comfortable working with CRMs on a daily basis (Hubspot, Salesforce, Pipeline, etc.)
- You are not afraid of highly technical concepts or conversations
- Able to travel up to ~30% of the year, primarily in Asia
- Must be located in proximity to Singapore
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin with bonus points for Japanese and Korean