Mobile cryptocurrency wallet Abra announces support for 20 cryptocurrencies. For users in the Philippines, this marks the first time a wallet supports multiple currencies, eliminating the need to go through a foreign crypto exchange.
This article is updated on October 2, 2018.
Table of Contents
In a major announcement, Abra confirms its support for 20 cryptocurrencies and 50 fiat currencies in the app’s new version. Only 13 crypto tokens will be available in the initial launch and the rest will be added in the coming days.
List of Supported Cryptocurrencies in Abra
- Bitcoin Cash
- Ethereum Classic
- Bitcoin Gold*
- Stellar Lumens*
*denotes tokens that will be added to Abra in the coming days.
Abra did not finish with the crypto announcements. The firm also confirmed adding support for litecoin and ether deposits in the coming days.
How is Abra able to add 20 cryptos in one go?
The answer rests with the company’s smart contract-based investment platform.
If you purchase ether in Abra, you are not holding real ether. What you really own is bitcoin (or litecoin) based on the value of ether.
Abra has developed a unique multi-sig smart contract-based investment platform that allows us to create synthetic digital assets (e.g. stablecoins) based on Litecoin or Bitcoin.
In other words, Abra gives you investment exposure to cryptocurrencies or fiat currencies without actually holding the physical currency.
For more details, check out Abra’s blog post here.
Abra claims this technology allows the app to add additional currencies in the future. Also, this model can be extended to other investment instruments, such as stocks, bonds, and commodities. We are excited on this new Abra technology and look forward to what else it can offer in the future.
- How to buy bitcoin using Abra
- Using Abra to buy ethereum in the Philippines
- The best cryptocurrency wallets to use in the Philippines
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter! Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.
- Invest in bitcoins (or in any altcoins) only the amount you can afford to lose!
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Spread your bitcoin and cryptocurrency investment.
- Before investing in any cryptocurrency, check the people behind it, its mission, and other details to ensure that they are worth investing for. Don’t invest in something you don’t know.
- This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an investment advice. Your actions are solely your own responsibility. There is no substitute for doing your own research. This website is not responsible for any losses you may incur, nor will it claim attribution for your gains.