With Bitcoin’s spike in usage, transaction fees were climbing higher and higher so that miners will confirm the transactions. SegWit, which happened in August 2017 alleviated these problems. Bitfinex, one of the largest cryptocurrency exchange, recently confirmed that it has adopted SegWit. Coinbase is confirmed to follow soon.
Benefits from SegWit
Table of Contents
A non-SegWit transaction can cost users about 0.00115034 BTC for 1 input and 2 outputs at 226 bytes. Using a SegWit transaction with the same input and outputs will only cost 0.00089584 BTC because SegWit (Segregated Witness) reduces the size of the transaction. From the original 226 bytes, it will go down to 178 bytes.
With more and more companies adopting SegWit, it will increase the transaction capacity per block and will also reduce congestion, and further decrease the fees.
Bitfinex and SegWit
Bitfinex is a popular cryptocurrency exchange, with around $1 billion trades happening per day. For Mr. Paolo Ardoino, CTO of Bitfinex, SegWit allows the exchange to deal not just with transaction speed and fees but also with total network capacity. This move allows Bitfinex users to experience 20% lower withdrawal fees.
Coinbase and SegWit
After Bitfinex’s announcement, Coinbase also announced that they are also rolling out SegWit in the next few days.
The more the community uses SegWit, the cheaper (transaction fees) and faster it will be. Reports suggest that in the past few days, transaction fees are becoming lower thanks to the SegWit adoption.
Both Coinbase and Bitfinex can be accessed in the Philippines. Coinbase can be used in the country to store bitcoins. Although, the feature to directly buy bitcoins from Coinbase isn’t available.
- Coins.ph Announces Cryptocurrency Exchange – Coins Exchange (CX)
- A List of Blockchain Businesses and Crypto Companies in the Philippines
- Bitcoin OTC | Buy Bitcoin & Ethereum Over-the-Counter in the Philippines
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter! Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.
- Invest in bitcoins (or in any altcoins) only the amount you can afford to lose!
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Spread your bitcoin and cryptocurrency investment.
- Before investing in any cryptocurrency, check the people behind it, its mission, and other details to ensure that they are worth investing for. Don’t invest in something you don’t know.
- This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an investment advice. Your actions are solely your own responsibility. There is no substitute for doing your own research. This website is not responsible for any losses you may incur, nor will it claim attribution for your gains.