February 19, 2020 – The 2019 Genome Report cited that the Philippines’ fintech market is projected to reach $10.5 billion by 2022. Because of that, there is a huge opportunity for the industry to accelerate, especially now that the Philippine Innovation Act and Innovative Startup Act has been enacted, which has a Php 1 billion budget to help startups.
The program aims not only to support fintech companies but the entire ecosystem as a whole.
Fintech companies will come together for the first Philippine Fintech Festival, happening on May 20-21, 2020 in Shangri-La, BGC.
According to the Department of Trade and Industry Undersecretary Rafaelita Aldaba, the budget will allow the Philippines to catch up with other ASEAN countries, particularly Singapore, which leads the fintech space.
Ms. Aldaba noted the various legal frameworks supporting the growth of fintech, including the E-Commerce Act, the Consumer Act of the Philippines, Cybercrime Prevention Act, and the Data Privacy Act.
The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP), for its part, is aiming to raise digital transactions this year by 30%. Fintech, which mostly are payment solutions (according to a BSP officer) will play a role in reaching the BSP target. InstaPay and PESONet are two payment infrastructures to make sure consumers can perform interbank and non-bank transactions faster. The BSP is also allowing companies engaged in virtual currency to operate in a sandbox, supporting them with a framework regarding licenses of virtual currency exchanges.
Source: Manila Bulletin
This article is published on BitPinas: Fintech Transactions Expected to Double in 2022
BitPinas is an independent blockchain and cryptocurrency news site covering the crypto and blockchain news and developments in the Philippines. We aim to be the website where you can find all information on blockchain and crypto in the Philippines. We are read by investors and enthusiasts alike, including crypto/blockchain company founders and government personnel. Contact email@example.com for more information, consulting advice, and partnerships. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Contact and Subscribe to BitPinas:
- Subscribe to our newsletter delivered every Monday, Friday, or when there’s breaking news you need to read on your email.
- Join BitPinas on Telegram
- Follow on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news and updates
- Disclaimer: All articles on BitPinas must be treated as not an investment advice. Readers are encouraged to do their own research. This website is not responsible for any loss incurred by the reader, nor will it take credit for their gains.
- For news tips, partnership discussions, or press release submissions, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org