January 8, 2019. Turns out you actually can’t pay for Fortnite Merch with Monero.
News of Fornite accepting the cryptocurrency Monero as a payment option has spread these last few days, only for Fortnite publisher Epic Games remove it subsequently.
The highly popular video game has a merchandise store called Retail Row, which supports GloBee, a payments service that accepts cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and litecoin.
As reported by CoinTelegraph, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said Monero payment was enabled “somewhere along the way,” suggesting that Epic did not intend to accept it as a mode of payment to begin with. Mr. Sweeney confirms the payment option was removed over the weekend.
Monero’s price against the USD grew with the positive news but this gain was slightly erased upon confirmation that the Fortnite inclusion was accidental. As of press time, the price of Monero (XMR) to USD is $52.73.
While the reversal seems to be negative news on crypto adoption, Mr. Sweeney affirms Epic Games’ positive stance on decentralized computing. “We are big fans of decentralized computing tech underlying cryptocurrency,” he said. “However, a lot more work is needed on volatility and fraud-proofing before bringing it to such a broad audience that includes younger gamers.”
Mr. Sweeney went on to publicly deny that Epic has any cryptocurrency partners or even crypto partnership discussions. He did say that they read about it and continuously talk to experts in the field in anticipation of an “eventual intercept”.
This article originally appeared on BitPinas: Epic Games: Paying for Fortnite Merch with Monero is Accidental
- List of Licensed Virtual Currency Exchanges
- List of Cryptocurrency Exchanges in the Philippines
- List of CEZA-Approved Offshore Crypto Exchanges
- List of Cryptocurrency Wallets
- List of Bitcoin Wallets
- List of LoyalCoin Partners
- Philippines Blockchain Business Directory
- List of Philippine Blockchain Events
- Bitcoin to PHP
- Cryptocurrency Charts in Pesos
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
- Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.