(Manila, Philippines) May 9, 2019 – The Maritime Industry Authority of the Philippines (MARINA) will be using blockchain for seafarer certification.
Blockchain solutions provider Navozyme signed the agreement with Marina to facilitate better exchange of data between the government agency and its stakeholders in the seafaring industry, as reported by the Manila Times.
More importantly, certificate issuance will be enabled via blockchain. Callling it “digitally secured maritime certificates”, the Navozyme Crew Authentication Platform (NCAP) is designed for “real-time exchange of certificate-related information”. Ms. Patricia Fernandez, Navozyme’s PH country lead said this will help eliminate fake certificate issuance and, along the way, increase the Philippine maritime industry’s reputation. The company is currently working closely with other maritime organizations, like the Magsaysay Maritime Corporation for pilot testing.
Navozyme has also piloted this in other countries. In the UK, the company created the “Blockchain for Maritime Decisionmakers” workshop.
The Navozyme Certificate Authentication Platform (NCAP) is just one of the two initiatives of Navzoyme; the other being the “Navozyme Maritime Authentication Platform” (NMAP). This one is for ship owners, managers, and port authorities handling port clearance processing.
While Maritime Overseas Filipino Workers account for only 3% of the entire OFW demographic, they represent 15% of OFW remittances to the Philippines. One of their key problems is documentation. Blockchain is seen as that trustless technology that can verify certificates and clearances without the usual long process of checks and balances. This is believed to be helpful as documentation takes a lot on the seafarer’s limited time on land.
This article originally appeared on BitPinas: Philippines Maritime Industry Authority to Use Blockchain for Seafarer Certification
- A Growing List of Blockchain Jobs in the Philippines
- How to buy Cryptocurrency in the Philippines
- List of Licensed Virtual Currency Exchanges in the Philippines
- List of Cryptocurrency Exchanges in the Philippines
- List of CEZA-Approved Offshore Crypto Exchanges
- List of Cryptocurrency Wallets
- List of Bitcoin Wallets
- List of LoyalCoin Partners
- Philippines Blockchain Business Directory
- List of Philippine Blockchain Events
- Bitcoin to PHP
- Cryptocurrency Charts in Pesos
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
- Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.