(Davao City, Philippines) May 27, 2019 – First-ever “Blockathon” brought together teams in Mindanao to compete in a blockchain hackathon at Kadena Hub, Davao City, Philippines.
14 teams from different schools and industries participated in Blockathon, a blockchain hackathon. Teams are tasked to develop an idea into a prototype and make use of blockchain as its underlying architecture. Winners of Blockathon are the following:
- (1st Place) MAMAY – a tool to enable mothers to buy and sell breast milk online.
- by Kiarrah Menil, Pauline Marie Dumagan, Frances Dimaano, Rio Jessa Mae Florida from University of Southeastern Philippines (USEP).
- Team MAMAY won Php 400,000 worth of incubation and Php 100,000 initial funding (as a grant, no equity).
- (2nd Place) TITULO – a tool for eliminating fraudulent sales of land
- by Joshua James Cabrera, Jonard Tanilon, Sheila Joy Regis, Michael Juanito Regis Jr., Abdur Rahim Jumlani
- (3rd Place) CommLabs – mobile-based livestock finder with geotagging for buyers
- by Dannah Rose Sanda, Pinky Corpin, Rolly Lee Linao, Gerondio Asejo Jr., Leonard Bran Padada.
Other projects presented were Lucid, Musikatin, BusKoTo, and Diploma. Lucid, a transparency solution for government transactions received an offer for future incubation while the rest were offered free mentorship by TraxionTech, the primary event organizer for the hackathon.
All projects will be using Hyperledger from the Traxion Blockchain Network.
Traxion organized the event in partnership with Agilab and the University of Southeastern Philippines’ Technology Business Incubation (TBI). Participants that were interviewed, including Ms. Mary Claudewyn Padasdas acknowledged that the event was informative, helping IT students “to be innovative and explore many things as future IT professionals”.
Serving as mentors during the blockchain hackathon are the following:
- Joshua Allen Santos, CEO of Kadena Hub
- Bermil Espina, CTO of Traxion
- Jan Koichi Dayanan, Chapter Head of Devcon and Lead of Davao Blockchain Developers
- Regina Evangelista, CEO of Mr. Outsource and Head Mentor for Marketing
Traxion CEO Ann Cuisia encouraged the participants in a speech to start with a good idea then turn it into something great. “Have an intention on why you are doing that cause and to be tenacious after making that goal to reality,” she said.
The blockchain hackathon is held at Kadena Hub, a blockchain and startup innovation hub in Davao owned also by Traxion.
This article first appeared on BitPinas: [Recap] 1st-Ever Blockathon – Blockchain Hackathon
- A Growing List of Blockchain Jobs in the Philippines
- How to buy Cryptocurrency in the Philippines
- List of Licensed Virtual Currency Exchanges in the Philippines
- List of Cryptocurrency Exchanges in the Philippines
- List of CEZA-Approved Offshore Crypto Exchanges
- List of Cryptocurrency Wallets
- List of Bitcoin Wallets
- List of LoyalCoin Partners
- Philippines Blockchain Business Directory
- List of Philippine Blockchain Events
- Bitcoin to PHP
- Cryptocurrency Charts in Pesos
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
- Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.