SCI Segwit2x Opposition
Table of Contents
In a post on its blog, SCI stated its opposition to the Segwit2X hard fork due to the following reasons:
- No BIP Process. SCI believes Bitcoin Improvement Proposals should be the way to move forward for the entire community.
- No overwhelming user support and consensus. SCI doesn’t see this with Segwit2x.
- No 100% Technical Confidence with the Dev team. SCI thinks that, as seen in the code repositories, the tech team behind Segwit2x is not as robust as the team in Bitcoin Core. A hard fork needs total confidence when it is implemented so technical issues must be addressed properly and not be rushed.
- Replay Protection. The dev team behind Segwit2x are going back and forth in their position on replay protection. A similar thing was an issue in the recent Bitcoin Gold fork and we discussed replay protection in an article about it.
In the beginning, the segwit2x group claimed that they would offer no replay protection to Bitcoin users. Then they changed their mind and offered a weak proposal. Then they changed their mind and took it back as soon as serious issues were pointed out by the community. – Satoshi Citadel Industries on Medium
Consumer Protection First
SCI wants to support customers and users first and the Segwit2x hard fork is putting the community under stress.
We at SCI wish only to continue building products and services using Bitcoin technology and will support our customers and users first above everything else. We have a responsibility to these people, as well as our stakeholders and the Philippine Bitcoin community, to carefully assess and evaluate any new developments in the technology.
What will SCI do about the Fork?
Ultimately, SCI will accommodate users who will request to access both chains as needed.
SCI is a fintech company building products using blockchain. Among its products include
- Rebit – a way to send remittance to the Philippines using bitcoin
- Bitbit – a mobile bitcoin and peso wallet
- BuyBitcoin – where you can buy and sell bitcoin in PH.
- Prepaid Bitcoin – think of prepaid cards in the past, but this time, it’s like a bitcoin prepaid load.
The other major bitcoin site in PH – Coins.ph has not yet announced its position on Segwit2x.
Notes and Disclaimer:
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter! Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.
- Invest in bitcoins (or in any altcoins) only the amount you can afford to lose!
- Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Spread your bitcoin and cryptocurrency investment.
- Before investing in any cryptocurrency, check the people behind it, its mission, and other details to ensure that they are worth investing for. Don’t invest in something you don’t know.
- This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an investment advice. Your actions are solely your own responsibility. There is no substitute for doing your own research. This website is not responsible for any losses you may incur, nor will it claim attribution for your gains.