Subscribe to our newsletter!
With the partnership with the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) through the ICT Industry Development Bureau (IIDB), the first-ever annual Global Blockchain Summit (GBS) is set to happen at the Bataan People’s Center from October 26 to 27, 2022, HRTECH500, the event’s organizer, announced.
Goals and Objectives
According to HRTECH500, GBS 2022 is expected to showcase the Philippines’ soaring possibilities and sustainable growth momentum as an emerging hub for Blockchain related and future technologies, adding that the summit “intends to convene the country’s TOP Blockchain experts, startups, associations, government agencies, global speakers to take forward the latest trends, insights, & in-depth discussion on the current & future state of the Blockchain Industry in the Philippines.”
In addition, GBS’s objective, as per its website, is “to serve as a venue for networking between private and public sectors. To float the idea of forming the world’s first DAO for a BLOCKCHAIN ASSOCIATION IN ASIA headquartered in the PHILIPPINES as we introduce the Philippines as the world’s BLOCKCHAIN HAVEN jurisdiction.”
GBS 2022 Agenda
Meanwhile, the event’s organizers also revealed that GBS 2022 will focus on a number of topics, namely: Regulation and Compliance, specifically Republic Act No. 11453; the Metaverse; non-fungible tokens (NFTs); Web3; Decentralized Finance (DeFi) and FinTech; and Digital Nation.
“Decentralized Digital Technology by building & enabling reforms on the digital economy foundation. Equipping human capital with regulations, tech & edu skills, and mitigating risks, as innovation roadmap to realize the greatest value of a & “digital economy, digital entrepreneurship & e-governance,” the statement read.
Alongside its agenda, the organizers have listed four panel discussions for each day.
For Day 1:
- · State of Blockchain Regulation in the Philippines
● Felipe Medalla – Governor, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas
● Emilio Aquino – Chairperson & CEO, Securities and Exchange Commission
● Hon. Sen. Imee Romualdez Marcos – Senator, Senate of the Philippines
● Emmanuel Pineda – Administrator, Authority of theFreeport Area of Bataan
o Moderator: Asec. Jeffrey Ian Dy, Assistant Secretary for Upskilling – DICT
- · Bringing Digital Asset adoption to the masses
● Jake Villanueva – Head of Blockchain, Maya
● Neil Trinidad – VP of New Business, GCash
● Eprom Galang – Managing Director, Coins.ph
o Moderator: Cathay Casas, First Vice President of Blockchain and API Group, UnionBank
- · Countryside Web 3.0 Ecosystems
● James Dongla – Founder & CEO, ServiCoin (Baguio)
● Bill Hill – VP of Pouch Lightning Wallet, Pouch.ph (Boracay)
● (S6 – Trading Platform)
o Moderator: TBA
- · Why Education is Key in the Mass Uptake of Blockchain Technology
● Jiro Reyes – CEO, Bitskwela
● Melissa Mesias – CEO, SparkLeard EdTech
● Jordan Aiko Deja – Head, DLSU ADRIC
● ASec. Jeffrey Dy – Assistant Secretary of Upskilling, DICT
o Moderator: Amor Maclang, Co-Convener – Digital Pilipinas
For Day 2:
- · Local Blockchain Solutions
● Jeffrey Reyes – CEO, Twala
● Emman Navalan – CEO, Tetrix
● Randy Knutson, CEO, DynaQuest Solutions
o Moderator: Emmanuel Samson – CEO, Impero Group
- · Women in Blockchain – Closing the Blockchain Gender Gap
● Emmy Lou Delfin – Director of ICT Industry Development Bureau, DICT
● ASec. Maria Teresa Camba – Assistant Secretary of Regional Operations, DICT
● Chezka Gonzales – Founder, Women of Substance NFT
● Kat Gonzales – Head of Operations, YGG Pilipinas
● Ann Cuisia – CEO, TraXion Tech Inc.
● Amor Maclang – Co-Convener, Digital Pilipinas
o Moderator: Gail Cruz-Macapagal – Head of Women in Blockchain
- · Revolutionizing Art and digital asset ownership through NFTs
● Oscar Tan-Abing Jr. – CEO, AnoToys
● Khat De Guzman – CEO, FilipinasNFT
● Paul Soliman – CTO, BayaniChain x Likha
● Stefan Rollins – Innovation Architect, XLA Foundation (USA)
o Moderator: Christopher Star – Strategy, Growth & Community Consultant, Web3 PH
- · What’s next after Play2Earn – X2Earn and the Metaverse
● Angeline Viray – CEO, Ark of Dreams
● Magoo Del Mundo – Southeast Asia Region Head, Stardust Metaverse
● Myrtle Ramos – CEO, Block Tides & Place War
● Joe Tran, Co-founder & CEO, ManaGames (USA)
o Moderator: Luis Buenaventura – Country Director, YGG Pilipinas
Why in Bataan?
Lastly, about the question, why is GBS 2022 set to happen in Bataan? The organizers explained that there is a future waiting in “Bataan Blockchain City.”
“With the passage of Republic Act No. 11453, otherwise known as an “Act Further Strengthening the Powers and Functions of the Authority of the Freeport Area of Bataan (AFAB)”, the AFAB now intends to endeavor into research and development, engineering, medical, education, information and communications technology including emerging and future technologies such as artificial intelligence technology, blockchain, business process outsourcing, cloud computing, cybersecurity, distributed ledger technology, financial technology solutions, internet of things, and virtual reality, retirement, and healthcare services, agro-industrial, tourism, banking, financial, multinational trading and investment center,” the statement concluded.
Just last Monday, Binance CEO Changpeng Zhao visited the country, where the exchange may forge a partnership with the local government unit of Bataan to spearhead the blockchain initiatives within the province, according to Bataan Governor Joet Garcia.
CZ’s attendance in Bataan may hint that he might also attend the GBS 2022.
BitPinas is one of the media partners of GBS 2022.
This article is published on BitPinas: Global Blockchain Summit to Happen in Bataan