Subscribe to our newsletter!
Editing by Nathaniel Cajuday
- CCP Games, the developer behind Eve Online, has raised $40 million to develop a new AAA blockchain-based game set in the Eve universe.
- The new project will use blockchain technology and smart contracts to develop core game systems and also focus on creating persistence, composability, and open third-party development.
- The funding round was led by Andreessen Horowitz (A16z) and had participation from Makers Fund, BITKRAFT, Kingsway Capital, HASHED, Nexon, and additional contributors.
Another web2 game developer is set to venture into the web3 space. This time, CCP Games, the developer behind the multiplayer online game Eve Online, has successfully raised $40 million to be utilized in developing a new AAA, blockchain-based title set in the Eve universe.
According to the developer, the new project, aside from using blockchain technology with smart contracts to develop its core game systems, will also focus on creating persistence, composability, and truly open third-party development, which will establish a new relationship between players and virtual worlds.
“Since its inception, CCP Games’ vision has been to create virtual worlds more meaningful than real life. Now, with advancements made within blockchain, we can forge a new universe deeply imbued with our expertise in player agency and autonomy, empowering players to engage in new ways. This financing has marked an exciting frontier in our studio history as we begin our third decade of virtual world operations. We are humbled by the confidence from our partners in the development of this new title,” said CCP Games CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson..
The game developer received the funding from external partners that are led by venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz (A16z). The round also had participation from Makers Fund, BITKRAFT, Kingsway Capital, HASHED, Nexon, and additional contributors.
“CCP Games is a pioneer in virtual worlds and digital economies with 25 years of experience creating living sandboxes with unparalleled depth. They’re a veteran team and we believe in their ambitious vision to deliver incredible player experiences at the intersection of best-in-class game design and blockchain technology,” a16z General Partner, Jonathan Lai, commented.
Moreover, Alli Óttarsson, a principal at Makers Fund, expressed excitement about supporting the impressive vision of the EVE team in expanding the EVE Universe using blockchain technology, emphasizing that the depth and nuances of EVE have become a common point of reference in blockchain gaming. Óttarsson also noted that, as a former employee of CCP, he was personally delighted “to be reunited with CCP and to witness their continued passion for creating truly meaningful virtual worlds.”
Founded in 1997, Crowd Control Productions launched Eve Online in 2003 and successfully established itself as one of the most innovative companies in interactive entertainment after winning numerous awards and receiving critical acclaim worldwide.
This is not the first time that a web2 game developer has ventures into the web3 space. Some of the notable firms include:
- Com2Us establishing its NFT platform,
- NetMarble, being behind the hit NFT game “Ni No Kuni: Cross Worlds” (Ni No Kuni is a major IP by Level-5, a reputable game developer),
- Square Enix partnering with Oasys gaming blockchain to become one of its validators,
- Game distribution platform, Epic Games Store, is hosting top NFT game Blankos, despite Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney not seeing the benefit of NFT in games.
Though the number of web2 game developers that are entering the web2 space is quiet few as of the moment, a report by the Blockchain Game Alliance (BGA) revealed that the entry of these traditional gaming studios into the blockchain space is a crucial factor in driving adoption.
This article is published on BitPinas: Eve Online Developer ‘CCP Games’ Enters Web3 Space, Secures $40M Funding for Blockchain Game Launch
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.