1st Update: Below the article, we have added the comments from Garena Philippines.
One concerned Redditor and an avid League of Legends (LoL) player in the Philippines found out that his LoL client runs a cryptocurrency mining program on his computer without his knowledge.
A Redditor with the name, lestargonzaga, posted on r/leagueoflegends about the findings of his anti-malware suite.
According to commenters on Reddit, the Coinhive riskware is not only targetting Philippine LoL clients. One Redditor commented that it is happening to all Garena+ users.
Although there is a debate going on as to whether Garena intentionally included the Coinhive in its client or not, one thing is for sure, players need to run their anti-virus or anti-malware to spot it immediately.
We treat security matters with utmost priority and sincerely apologize for this incident, and for the inconvenience you have experienced.
Should you have any questions or concerns you email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multiple Reports Suggest Cryptojacking Now More Popular Than Ransomware
- Apple Bans Crypto Mining Apps on iOS
- You Can Earn Crypto When You Play This FPS Blockchain Game
- For press release, sponsored content, and other advertising options, click here.
- If you like what you read here, please consider subscribing to our newsletter!
- Follow Bitpinas at Telegram.