- First introduced by ChatGPT developer OpenAI in January 2021, DALL-E is a “12-billion parameter version of GPT-3” trained to generate images from text descriptions using a dataset of text–image pairs.
- A year later, in July 2022, OpenAI released DALL-E 2, which generates more realistic and accurate images with four times greater resolution. DALL-E 2 is a simple decoder-only transformer that receives both the text and the image as a single stream of 1280 tokens—256 for the text and 1024 for the image—and models all of them automatically.
- Some people may think that DELL-E is a threat to human creativity or a source of deception or harm. However, it can surely be used for good if we use it wisely and respectfully.
An artificial intelligence (AI) tool that can create realistic images and art from a description in natural language? They call it DALL-E.
First introduced by ChatGPT developer OpenAI in January 2021, DALL-E is a “12-billion parameter version of GPT-3” trained to generate images from text descriptions using a dataset of text–image pairs.
The name “DALL-E” is said to be a combination of the names of the artist Salvador Dali and the robot “WALL-E” from Pixar. The name was chosen because DALL-E is able to create images that are both artistic and creative, in a similar way to Dali’s paintings, and it is also able to generate images that are realistic and detailed, in a similar way to WALL-E.
(Read more: 10 Highest-Paying AI Jobs: A Comprehensive Guide)
“We’ve found that it has a diverse set of capabilities, including creating anthropomorphized versions of animals and objects, combining unrelated concepts in plausible ways, rendering text, and applying transformations to existing images,” the developers emphasized.
A year later, in July 2022, OpenAI released DALL-E 2, which generates more realistic and accurate images with four times greater resolution. DALL-E 2 is a simple decoder-only transformer that receives both the text and the image as a single stream of 1280 tokens—256 for the text and 1024 for the image—and models all of them automatically.
In a statement, OpenAI explained that they trained DALL-E on a dataset of text-image pairs, which allowed the model to learn the relationship between text and images. This resulted in DALL-E generating images from text descriptions by using the text to create a latent representation of the image. This latent representation was then used to generate the image.
Currently, DALL-E is known for creating a variety of images, including realistic images of objects that do not exist, such as a cat with a dog’s head, and artistic images that are inspired by real-world objects. It is a powerful tool that can be used for a variety of purposes, like creating art, designing products, and generating educational content.
With this, let us explore the limitless possibilities of using DALL-E in the industry of digital artistry.
Beginner’s Guide to DALL-E: Harnessing AI for Digital Artistry
Setting Up DALL-E: A Simple Guide
As of this writing, DALL-E, the first version, is not available to the general public. While DALL-E 2, the second version, is currently by invitation only. So to avoid confusion, the term “DALL-E” for the rest of this article refers to the second version, since it is the only version available so far.
Thus, to access DALL-E, follow the following steps:
- Sign up for an OpenAI account. Do this by visiting the OpenAI website and clicking on the “Sign Up” button to secure an API key.
- Wait for an invitation to use DALL-E. OpenAI is currently inviting a limited number of people to use DALL-E. Once invited, users will receive an email with instructions on how to activate their accounts.
- Generate images by entering a text description. Once the account has been activated, start generating images by entering a text description into the prompt field. Users who signed up before April 6, 2023, are granted 15 free credits that expire and renew after each month. New users will have to buy a minimum of 115 credits for $15.
- Explore the different settings. DALL-E has a number of settings that users can adjust to control the appearance of the images that they want to generate.
- Save and share the images. Once the image has been generated, users can save it to their computers or share it with others. They download the image in a variety of formats, including PNG, JPG, and SVG.
Understanding the Features of DALL-E
DALL-E is a powerful text-to-image generation tool that has a number of impressive features, including:
- Generating high-quality images that are often indistinguishable from real photographs. This is because DALL-E is trained on a massive dataset of images and text descriptions.
- Creating images in a variety of styles, including realistic, cartoony, and abstract, which allows users to create images that match their specific needs or preferences.
- Allowing users to customize the images that they generate. Users can change the colors, the background, and the pose of the objects in the image.
- Letting users edit images, such as adding or removing objects, changing the colors, or adjusting the style.
- Producing multiple variations of the same subject, which can be useful for brainstorming or finding the perfect image.
Everyday Creative Uses for DALL-E
Indeed, DALL-E can be used in various creative fields, unlocking new possibilities for artists, designers, and content creators. Some potential applications include:
- Concept art and illustration. Generate unique concept art or illustrations based on textual descriptions for use in paintings, drawings, sculptures, films, video games, or other projects.
- Design products. DALL-E can be used to design products, such as furniture, clothing, and accessories.
- Mood boards and inspiration. Create mood boards by entering keywords or phrases that describe the desired theme, style, or mood.
- Viral content and marketing. Create viral content that attracts attention and engagement on social media platforms. For example, generate images of celebrities, animals, or objects in unusual or humorous situations.
- Education and awareness. Educate people about the dangers of AI, such as deepfakes, misinformation, or bias. Generate educational content, such as diagrams, illustrations, and infographics. This can be a great way to explain complex concepts or to make learning more engaging.
Troubleshooting Tips for DALL-E Users
While DALL-E is a powerful tool, we cannot deny the fact that it is still under development, and there are some common issues that users may encounter, including:
- Image quality. Sometimes, the images generated by DALL-E may not be of the highest quality. This can be due to a number of factors, such as the complexity of the prompt, the quality of the training data, or the limitations of the model. To improve image quality, try to use clear and concise prompts, and avoid using prompts that are too complex or challenging.
- Image accuracy. Sometimes, the images generated by DALL-E may not be accurate to the prompt. This can be due to a number of factors, such as the ambiguity of the prompt, the limitations of the model, or the biases in the training data. To improve image accuracy, try to use clear and specific prompts and avoid using prompts that are too ambiguous or open-ended.
- Image diversity. Sometimes, the images generated by DALL-E may be too similar to each other. This could be due to the fact that the model is trained on a limited dataset of images. To improve image diversity, try to use different prompts and experiment with the “Style” and “Search” settings.
- Image bias. DALL-E is trained on a dataset of images that reflects the biases of the real world. This means that the images generated by DALL-E may reflect these biases. To mitigate image bias, try to use prompts that are inclusive and diverse.
Indeed, making artwork from simple text prompts is a game changer in the arts industry.
Some people may think that DELL-E is a threat to human creativity or a source of deception or harm. However, it can surely be used for good if we use it wisely and respectfully.
Overall, DELL-E is a powerful tool that has the potential to be used for a variety of purposes. If you are looking for a way to create realistic, creative, or customized images, then you should definitely consider using DELL-E.
Come try DELL-E and see for yourself how it can enhance your creativity and productivity.
This article is published on BitPinas: How to Use DALL-E AI To Turn Text Prompts to Images
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.