Subscribe to our newsletter!
Editing by Nathaniel Cajuday
- Aside from those in Japan, Italy, and Australia, Filipinos in the United States can also now use GCash and register to GCash Overseas.
- As of this writing, accounts with Philippine-issued SIMs have wider access such as, Send Money, Bank Transfer, Load, Pay Bills, Cash In, GSave, GInsure, GLoan, GGives, and GLife. These accounts may be used abroad as long as the mobile number is active and has access to receive one-time pins (OTPs).
- While non-Philippine-issued SIMs can only utilize some services, such as Send Money, Bank Transfers, Load, Pay Bills, and Cash In. However, GCash assured that these available services for international SIMs will multiply in the future.
- To cash in, users can fund their Gcash accounts through remittance services or international wallets such as Western Union, Payoneer, Remitly, and JRF.
- In this article, BitPinas also curated how to register and verify account in GCash Overseas.
First launched in Japan, Italy, and Australia, mobile wallet GCash is set to further expand GCash Overseas into the West as they also roll out the feature in the United States.
GCash Overseas is the special feature of the e-wallet that allows Filipinos residing and working abroad to register a GCash account using an international subscriber identity module (SIM).
For its U.S. integration, GCash Overseas will allow the first 1,000 Filipinos in America to use the e-wallet even without a Philippine SIM card. Unlike remittances, U.S.-based overseas Filipino workers (OFW) may now send money instantly and for free as Gcash-to-Gcash transfers are charge-free.
“We are adding the US to our list to be able to service over 4 million of our kababayans residing there,” said Martha Sazon, president and CEO of GCash.
She also credited the milestone to the “strong support” from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) which helped the fintech firm to “make significant headway in scaling our services, aligned with our vision of ‘Finance for All’.”
Last month, the central bank gave the green light to Gcash to start the initial launch of its overseas service in Japan, Italy, and Australia allowing Filipinos to use the fintech app with international SIM cards.
Available Services for Gcash Overseas
Generally, Gcash Overseas will be available for all verified users; however, the availability of features for registered Philippine-issued SIMs has advantages compared to foreign-issued ones.
Local sim cards used overseas may still be able to access all of the app services, including Send Money, Bank Transfer, Load, Pay Bills, Cash In, GSave, GInsure, GLoan, GGives, and GLife. These accounts may be used abroad as long as the mobile number is active and has access to receive one-time pins (OTPs).
Non-Philippine-issued SIMs, on the other hand, can only utilize some services, such as Send Money, Bank Transfers, Load, Pay Bills, and Cash In. However, GCash assured that these available services for international SIMs will multiply in the future.
How to Register in GCash Overseas
- Step 1: Select the corresponding country.
- Step 2: Enter the information needed.
- Step 3: Set MPIN.
- Step 4: Prepare a Philippine passport or any Philippine-issued ID for scanning to verify the account.
- Step 5: Enroll in facial verification.
- Step 6: Input additional information and submit the application.
- Step 7: Wait for SMS confirmation.
How to Cash In to GCash Overseas
Users can cash in through remittance services or international wallets such as Western Union, Payoneer, Remitly, and JRF. To cash in through specific entities, users must open the cash-in page on the app and follow the corresponding instructions on each service entity.
Note: According to the mobile wallet, GCash Overseas is still in its beta version. This is the reason why the maximum number of registrants is still limited.
It is not the first time that GCash has expanded outside the Philippines. Last year, through a collaboration with the Chinese fintech giant Ant Group’s Alipay+, Gcash was also made available in four more countries in Asia—South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and Malaysia.
According to the results of the Special Industry Report on FinTech (financial technology) in the Philippines by the polling and data analytics firm WR Numero Research (WRN), Gcash is one of the most trusted fintech platforms in the country.
Recently, GCash launched the DoubleSafe feature, which adds an extra layer of authentication to protect users from theft and prevent unauthorized transactions. The feature includes a selfie scan for fully verified users or an additional OTP for non-verified users.
Aside from expanding overseas, Gcash has also been active in expanding its offerings. It recently released its GStocks and Gcrypto. Currently undergoing a month-long trial run with stock brokerage firm AB Capital Securities Inc., GStocks will allow users to invest in stocks. GCrypto, on the other hand, integrates cryptocurrency trading into the app.
This article is published on BitPinas: GCash Overseas Now Available in United States
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.