- GCash partnered with Visa to introduce the GCash Card, providing Filipinos, including the unbanked, with an accessible payment card for online and in-store transactions.
- The GCash Card offers benefits such as quick ATM withdrawals locally and abroad, and it can be used at over 100 million merchants worldwide, powered by Visa’s global network.
- Users can order the GCash Card through the GCash app, and it also includes free insurance coverage for the first 30 days, covering card replacement and shipping fees in case of loss or damage.
In a bid to provide its customers with another payment option, mobile e-wallet giant GCash partnered with Visa to introduce the GCash Card. The initiative will also serve as a way to access payment cards for unbanked Filipinos.
According to the firms, GCash Cards will be available to all fully verified users without the need for additional documents or approvals.
Ren-Ren Reyes, president and CEO of G-Xchange, the mobile wallet operator of GCash, remarked that this move by GCash will provide every Filipino, regardless of their location, with the benefits of owning a card.
“Especially those with no bank accounts or documents typically required to apply for a card… These include Filipinos with informal sources of income like freelancers and independent professionals as well as micro and small enterprises,” Reyes added.
He added that the GCash Card can be used for online shopping on websites and apps and can be used at physical retail stores by tapping or inserting it into terminals.
“The GCash Card paves the way to better financial inclusion… With the card’s contactless capability, it enables Filipino shoppers, especially those who don’t usually pay with cards, to shop conveniently and securely, joining millions around the world who have been tapping to shop, dine, and travel,” said Jeff Navarro, country manager, Visa, for the Philippines and Guam.
Prior to the Visa-powered cards, GCash has been issuing cards under payment-processing corporation MasterCard.
GCash Card Perks
This card aims to provide financial inclusion by offering quick ATM withdrawals locally and abroad, similar to traditional bank accounts.
Reyes further emphasized that this expansion of payment options enables GCash users to make transactions at over 100 million merchants globally. Moreover, the card, which is powered by Visa’s extensive global network, can be used for payments in over 200 countries and territories at more than 100 million merchants, providing a secure and convenient payment option for travelers and overseas Filipinos.
Additionally, the firm also noted that its contactless capability makes shopping secure and convenient, even for those who are not accustomed to using cards.
Further, GCash Card users are entitled to free insurance of up to P20,000 for the first 30 days after activation. This includes coverage for card replacement and shipping fees in the event of accidental loss or damage to the card.
How to Order a GCash Card?
The firm emphasized that orders are only available through the GCash app.
- Open the app and click on the “View all” tab.
- Select “Cards”, under the “Manage” section.
- Select ‘Order GCash Card” and top on the “Order a Card” option.
- Select delivery method.
- Review card details, make sure that all information is accurate, then select “Next.”
- Input all needed information.
- Pay. (Costs a total of ₱250; ₱185 for the card and ₱65 for the delivery fee).
- Wait for a confirmation prompt that the purchase is successful. Done.
This article is published on BitPinas: GCash Launches Visa-powered Card: A How to Get Guide
- Before investing in any cryptocurrency, it is essential that you carry out your own due diligence and seek appropriate professional advice about your specific position before making any financial decisions.
- BitPinas provides content for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Your actions are solely your own responsibility. This website is not responsible for any losses you may incur, nor will it claim attribution for your gains.