After showcasing the works of two National Artists – Jose Joya and Abdulmari Imao – merged with the art style of Andre Baldovino (Joya’s grandnephew) and Toym Imao (Abdulmari’s son) to create unique one-of-a-kind NFTs, Scarletbox, a blue-chip NFT launchpad in Asia, announced that it will soon launch the non-fungible token (NFT) artworks of late National Artist and cartoonist Larry Alcala through a witty and fun profile picture (PFP) collection.
Who is Larry Alcala?
Like Jose Joya ang Abdulmari Imao, Lauro “Larry” Zarate Alcala, Sr. (1926-2002) is a National Artist for Visual Arts, awarded to him in 2008.
He is known for highlighting the lives of ordinary Filipinos through his comics as an artist of 56 years and has made over 500 characters, 20 comic strips, six movies, two murals, and 15,000 published pages.
Aside from publishing comic strips, Alcala was also a retired Fine Arts professor at the University of the Philippines, where he took his Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting in 1950s.
Some of his known works are Slice of Life (1980-1987), Siopawman (1972-1983, 2002), and Mang Ambo (1963-1972, 1993-1998).
The National Artist successfully launched 17 individual exhibitions in a span of 17 years, in six different countries.
He also received multiple awards like the Pamana Award for Cartooning last 1991 and served as the President of the Samahang Kartunista ng Pilipinas for a decade.
According to Scarletbox’s announcement, the Larry Alcantara NFT collection is a tribute to the late National Artist, but with a twist – Scarletbox will embed some of the images from some of the projects in the space to the selected PFPs, namely:
- Bored Punks of Society – a community-driven social movement that aims to educate, connect, and spread the beauty of blockchain to the community through NFTs.
- Planktoons – known as a collection of 4444 planktons-in-onesies, its NFTs are matched with a choose-your-own adventure story made by their artists, lore writers, and content creators.
- Distort Monsters – influenced by skateboarding and punk rock, his characters are more than just bold outlines and multilinear textures, a colorful representation of a counterculture spirit.
- Black Eyed Freaks – known as the collection created by artist named Nokturnal, these NFTs have no eyes, but each are made according to what the requestors do or desire to become.
- Bjorn Calleja – a Filipino painter and interdisciplinary artist, whose works play with the idea of the micro and macro-cosms of humans within and against their environments, in an ecological, social, and internal sense.
- Mustachio Quest – the first-ever NFT Tales in the space. Each Mustachio avatar is hand-drawn by Boii Mustache, and will be used to Mustachio Quest, a play-to-earn game.
“This is a wonderful welcome for Larry Alcala fans who grew up with his characters that epitomized the quintessential Pinoy life. He is a true symbol of Pinoy Pop Culture and was also awarded the Grand Collar of the Order of National Artists,” Scarletbox said.
The blue-chip NFT launch pad will release the Whitelist privileges of the Alcala collection through its six partner projects.
Securing a whitelist privilege allows the user to avail a discount on the sale this September.
“The Larry Alcala NFT is perfect as gifts for you or your loved one, with its numerous colorful characters, you can definitely identify someone you know, from your own family or community, or even find a reflection of yourself! You can be active by following Scarletbox’s social media accounts to be whitelisted,” Scarletbox concluded.
This article is published on BitPinas: Scarletbox to Launch Larry Alcala NFTs in September
Disclaimer: BitPinas articles and its external content are not financial advice. The team serves to deliver independent, unbiased news to provide information for Philippine-crypto and beyond.