- The second Philippine Block Awards, part of the Philippine Blockchain Week, honored 12 Blockchain Champions from various sectors, including government officials and industry leaders.
- Two individuals, Hon. John Ivan Uy (Secretary of DICT) and Renz Carlo Chong (CEO of BreederDAO), received the Leadership Award for their contributions to the blockchain ecosystem.
- The Block Awards is an annual event supported by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), recognizing individuals who have made significant contributions to the blockchain industry in the Philippines.
The second Philippine Block Awards, organized by the Blockchain Council of the Philippines, honored individuals and entities from local private firms to government officials. The event was held in conjunction with the Philippine Blockchain Week on September 20, 2023, at the Marriott Grand Ballroom in Pasay.
In this year’s celebration, the Block Awards honored 12 Block Champions from the various sectors of the country’s blockchain industry, as well as government officials.
- Maria Frances Del Rosario, Undersecretary of Department of Budget Management (DBM)
- Emmanuel Diwa Pineda, Undersecretary of Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD)
- Christopher Verceles, CEO of XC Labs
- Michael Vincent Mislos, Editor-in-Chief of BitPinas
- Paul Soliman, CEO of Bayanichain
- Jay Ricky Villarante, CEO of Moneybees
- Alvin Wong, Head of Growth and Product Strategy/Head of Invest of Maya
- Jiro Reyes, CEO of Bitskwela
- Galeria Paloma, represented by Kimberly Rocha-Delgado, Mia Rocha Launchengco, and Georgia Rocha
DBM’s Del Rosario expressed her gratitude upon receiving the reward and noted that they will strive hard to push the department’s recently launched Project Marissa, a blockchain-based initiative that aims to improve the security protocols surrounding budget data.
Meanwhile, Villarante, a crypto pioneer since 2012 shared the following statement:
“I am deeply honored to receive this award and be recognized among the exceptional innovators and visionaries in the blockchain industry. It is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our teams at 8ventures, Paylance, Moneybees, OrbitPH, and Secuna. This award motivates us to continue pushing the boundaries of blockchain technology, fostering growth, and making a positive impact in the industry and society at large.”
“Truly an honor to have received this year’s ‘Blockchain Champion’ award at the Philippine Block Awards 2023. While Bitskwela started out as a passion project of mine, it wouldn’t be what it is today if it weren’t for everyone else – community, team, friends, family,” Jiro Reyes shared on X.
This year, two individuals were given the Leadership Award: Hon. John Ivan Uy, Secretary of the Department of Information and Communications Technology, and Renz Carlo Chong, CEO of BreederDAO.
DICT have been supporting the Philippine Blockchain Week since its first iteration last year, apart from this the department are also active in supporting other blockchain endeavors such as a Blockchain 101 Webinar with Coins.ph and Philippine Fintech Festival 2022.
During the PBW, the DICT and Blockbytes collaborated to host Blockchain 101 for Students, a half-day session designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to blockchain technology. The session covered the core concepts, applications, and potential impact of blockchain technology.
Last year, Chong was one of the young Filipino startup founders that made the cut to the Forbes 30 under 30 list in Asia. The Forbes 30 under 30 list is a roster of young individuals whose success stories are inspirational and have far-reaching impact. It is a set of lists of people under 30 years old issued annually by Forbes magazine and its regional editions. Along with Chong are the founders of Philippine esports startup AcadArena, Justin Gorriceta-Banusing, Kevin Hoang, and Ariane Lim.
What is the Block Awards?
Block Awards 2023 is the award-giving body of the 2023 Philippine Blockchain Week, which is supported by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT). This awards night recognizes the outstanding contributions and pioneering efforts of individuals who are shaping the blockchain landscape.
Last year’s inauguration recognized several leaders and innovators in the fields of blockchain, crypto, web3, NFTs, and gaming as the first Blockchain Champions of the country. The first Blockchain Champions included individuals such as Atty. Mark S. Gorriceta, Ann J. Cuisia, Atty. Kelvin Lester K. Lee, Imelda C. Tiongson, Henry Rhoel R. Aguda, Luis Buenaventura II, Gail Concepcion Cruz-Macapagal, Nichel O. Gaba, Gabby Dizon, and Miguel Cuneta, each of whom has made significant contributions in their respective domains.
Moreover, Dr. Justo A. Ortiz, Chairman of UnionBank of the Philippines, received the Leader of the Year Award for his leadership in various blockchain associations and fostering Web3 adoption. Rien Lewis Pecson was honored as the Blockchain Leader of the Future for creating the world’s first blockchain-based voting platform at just 12 years old.
This article is published on BitPinas: Moneybees Founder, DICT, and More Honored at Block Awards
- Before investing in any cryptocurrency, it is essential that you carry out your own due diligence and seek appropriate professional advice about your specific position before making any financial decisions.
- BitPinas provides content for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Your actions are solely your own responsibility. This website is not responsible for any losses you may incur, nor will it claim attribution for your gains.